A Different Observation

Anything that does not fit or belong in other forums
RafnS

A Different Observation

Post by RafnS »

Well, well, well! Not even a week's passed since my first post, and look at this! At least the originator and intellectual property and copyrights holder has seen sense and bailed out as witnessed on a couple of other forums. I mean, this has descended into a total farce.

And just what "project" are you discussing here anyway? Seems you don't have one any more unless you are into stealing other people's ideas?

Please, do yourselves a big favor and give up, close up shop. That, or find another hobby to put up here and then do it right. Learn web design and coding as well as web administration and phpBB3 admin and set up in the first place. That would be my well-intentioned advice.

Technobable

Re: A Different Observation

Post by Technobable »

RafnS wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:17 pm Well, well, well! Not even a week's passed since my first post, and look at this! At least the originator and intellectual property and copyrights holder has seen sense and bailed out as witnessed on a couple of other forums. I mean, this has descended into a total farce.

And just what "project" are you discussing here anyway? Seems you don't have one any more unless you are into stealing other people's ideas?

Please, do yourselves a big favor and give up, close up shop. That, or find another hobby to put up here and then do it right. Learn web design and coding as well as web administration and phpBB3 admin and set up in the first place. That would be my well-intentioned advice.

That's entirely whos fault, I bare no grudge or sour grapes to the individual involved, they/he was very quick to claim copyright which I respect and for me to have no form redress or say in the matter, everything was closed down very quickly still that what you get bewarned. My Idea is pretty similar to the original posters idea, however they wanted a portable operational system. I propose to develop something more on the lines of DSL but only bigger, with install medium now less a premium DamSmallLinux is capable of having a desktop to being sop much more. As to how this would be developed we /I will need to look into. If this is not satisfying to all then so be it. I have spent real money on this and intend to progress hopefully to completion. I wish the original partner all the best with their portable option.

Contrary to your post I do know webdesign and php and can develop natural sites, however the present state is that I feel WP can be better an more easily managed, and be done quicker to and be more secure than anything that I could ever design. This was done quickly, to design a bespoke system would originally taken to long. We are where we are in the stream of time there is no going back now.

I thank you for your advice about studying and learning it is the quest for better knowledge. I advise anyone who is starting off to learn from there mistakes, I hope that the previous partner learns from it to. I don't think they will find somebody who will to provide what was proposed for the original project. Free hosting, and all that goes with it. Now why do you not look on the positive side and help the previous occupant out and stop being such a negative poster. In future I may not be so kind as to publish your negative thoughts and felling's.

--
Technobable aka the medler
RafnS

Post by RafnS »

OK then, now we can actually make some positive remarks and/or suggestions, seeing recent posts.
First, less haste, less waste. It takes time to design a forum properly from the start, and even more time to design and implement a website properly. In the meantime, you keep it all off-limit to the public and bots alike, until you're actually ready and have relevant content on the website and some introductory material to provide a basis for discussion on the forum.

However, at this early stage you don't need either a website or forum. As I understand it, you want to create a new distro forked off of Arch - quite an ambitious plan. But for that, you would be far better off with a few initial posts in the relevant Arch forum to test the water and see if there's any interest. There is a wealth of knowledge there and a wealth of highly skilled developers in the Arch forums who could advise and help and indeed maybe become involved in your project. Eventually, when you have managed to actually define exactly what you want to do in some detail and attracted  sufficient support, then it might be time to start thinking about your own forum and/or mailing list/s. A website even at that point might still be a little premature but already bear it in mind. As and when there really is something to put on a website, that maybe the time to plan one. And by something, I mean that some active development has actually started and basic packages have been decided on.

You would attract far more interest in Arch forums than here, and far more support, help and advice.

Technobable

Post by Technobable »

RafnS wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:00 pm OK then, now we can actually make some positive remarks and/or suggestions, seeing recent posts.
First, less haste, less waste. It takes time to design a forum properly from the start, and even more time to design and implement a website properly. In the meantime, you keep it all off-limit to the public and bots alike, until you're actually ready and have relevant content on the website and some introductory material to provide a basis for discussion on the forum.

However, at this early stage you don't need either a website or forum. As I understand it, you want to create a new distro forked off of Arch - quite an ambitious plan. But for that, you would be far better off with a few initial posts in the relevant Arch forum to test the water and see if there's any interest. There is a wealth of knowledge there and a wealth of highly skilled developers in the Arch forums who could advise and help and indeed maybe become involved in your project. Eventually, when you have managed to actually define exactly what you want to do in some detail and attracted  sufficient support, then it might be time to start thinking about your own forum and/or mailing list/s. A website even at that point might still be a little premature but already bear it in mind. As and when there really is something to put on a website, that maybe the time to plan one. And by something, I mean that some active development has actually started and basic packages have been decided on.

You would attract far more interest in Arch forums than here, and far more support, help and advice.

Thank you for your support and helpful pointing. I am where I'am in the stream in time. I am certainly not shuting up with a 404 page.
With the abandonment of the original other party, I am left with no other choice Iam simply don't have time to approach others, be it personally or in forums.

As practical suggestions go I like that you are positive and mention packages, that will come in time. 
Thank you for your post

--
Technobable aka the medler
RafnS

Post by RafnS »

Technobable wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:08 am  Thank you for your support and helpful pointing. I am where I'am in the stream in time. I am certainly not shuting up with a 404 page.
With the abandonment of the original other party, I am left with no other choice Iam simply don't have time to approach others, be it personally or in forums.

As practical suggestions go I like that you are positive and mention packages, that will come in time. 
Thank you for your post

Well, you're difficult to help. You have to start somewhere to get support, and your own obscure site and forum isn't the way to attract that. To start a new fork off of Arch you'll need a lot of support from the community, from within the community, and you'll only find that by getting the ball rolling by posting in Arch forums and joining a mailing list or two. Without that support you're dead in the water. But if or once you get that support, that'll be the time to start moving the discussion to your own forum.

When referring to packages, I meant basic system packages, not application ones. After all, that's where you'll have to start.

In your post about your project you mentioned that KDE would be your choice of DE. But you also said you want to create a lightweight, fast loading and fast distro. Well, KDE isn't exactly lightweight or fast loading (when compared to other DEs)- you might want to have a look at LXQt or XFCE, taking two examples of fairly small DEs - there are others. Budgie also comes to mind.

Anyway, I'm out of here for now, but I'll come back from time to time to see if anything is happening. Maybe even see you in Arch forums?